Interesting News From My Doctor

So I put  so much of my life online I thought I’d document this Incase it could help someone going through the same thing.
I’m not complaining that this is happening, God has blessed me way too much and I’m blessed they found it and can prevent it from becoming cancer. But I’m going to do some blogs about it. I’m not sure if it’s to help me go through my feelings or I just like to talk a lot. 
I’ve only had one appointment so there’s not a whole lot to talk about today.
So as most of you know my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. She went through chemo and a double mastectomy and hysterectomy. She’s all good now. PTL. But she found out her cancer was caused by a gene mutation called Brca 2.
They recommend everyone in the family get tested after that so Sarah and I got tested. Just a simple blood test (mine wasn’t so simple but that’s another story) Because my mom has it we have a 50/50 chance if having it. Sarah doesn’t have it, but I do. So the genetics lady (what are they called? I feel dumb) calls me and tells me that I have the brca2 gene mutation so I need to meet with some drs and go over what to do next. So I get a call from oncology, which I was not expecting. I’m thinking but I don’t have cancer? What if I have cancer but the dr has to tell me in person? (I’m dumb but I thought it for a second) I go to the appointment and the dr tells me my three options. 1. Do nothing but MRIs and mammograms every 6 months 2. Take medication everyday, that probably won’t work for the type of cancer I would get from the gene anyway.  3. Have a double mastectomy and take out my ovaries. 
I just watched my mom go through chemo and surgeries so I’ve pretty much made up my mind before I went that I’m going to go with 3 and try to prevent all of this from even happening. Let’s Angelina Jolie this! She tells me that’s probably the best option, even though they have no way of know if I would even get cancer with the gene mutation my chances are a lot higher. I forgot the actual numbers, I’ll post them later. She tells me to have an open mind when consulting with the breast clinic and gynecologist because I might change my mind, but for now I sound like I know what I’m doing and that’s good. So that’s where I am right now.  I have my 2 appointments set up for January and we will see what they say. Just a side note, I’m not sad or scared. Life happens and you just got to go with it. I never think “oh why me??”. Because my life is so so good. I have nothing to complain about. I mean I could find a million things to complain about but in the BIG picture I have nothing to complain about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gynecologist Appiontment

Hi, I’m Manda!